Analyzing our Algorithms

What does your algorithm say about you? If I were to view your Instagram feed, what would I see? Are there reels of home décor, Taylor Swift, and recipes? Or are there video games, investment strategies, and sports content. We each have a specifically curated algorithm that acts almost like our fingerprint- uniquely ours.

To what extent, though, can we make our algorithms show us what we want to see? Better yet, to what extent can we have it show us what we need to see?

My husband has mentioned that, sometimes, his algorithm will show him content that does not necessarily enjoy; yet, every time he clicks on it to view it, he reinforces the algorithm. Similarly, when we were planning our wedding, I would be overwhelmed by all the wedding content I would see in my feed. It frankly stressed me out seeing everyone’s lavish wedding that cost thousands and thousands of dollars. You must have this. You must do that. However, I would always click on it unintentionally letting Instagram know that I wanted more. Can we modify that which we see, though? I remember “algorithm bombing” my Instagram during wedding planning by searching for recipes and home décor. I stopped clicking on wedding content and only chose to reinforce content that did not stress me out- Broadway, interior design, cooking, you name it. Slowly but surely, I saw less and less wedding content. Instagram can work how YOU want it to, how YOU need it to. If you ever find that your algorithm is not benefiting you, know that you have the power to change it.

-SMT

Comments

Popular Posts